Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chaga

In a rather impulsive move, I quit my job and came up to camp to do a tonne of baking and be happy. I am done having my spirit sucked out of me.
It's been an interesting week. Sr.Boys always is. Getting to spend time with Geordie and my Katie Best has been fantastic! I am here for another week and a half and then Geordie and his sister and I will be taking off to their cottage for the long weekend. I am so excited.
There is a counsellor here this week named White Raven and he's from Vermont so he has a very noticeable New England accent. He has introduced us to Chaga. Chaga is a fungus that grows on Birch trees that is apparently worth a lot in the south because you can use it to make a tea with a lot of natural health benefits. We have all immediately become immersed in all things Chaga. We made Chaga tea the first night. It's actually so good! A bunch of the counsellors and directors started coming in to get Chaga and so they decided to make an elective activity called "Chaga Hunting" for the campers. ....so that they can find tonnes of Chaga so that we will have a never ending supply of Chaga tea. It is hilarious. They are hyping it up just about as much as they did the hobo activity from last year where they learned to tie their shoes to their ankles so that no other hobos stole them, built cardboard shacks in the woods, and baked beans over a fire. Sr.Boys is always the most insane. I love it.
This is Chaga
I have so many more pictures to put up but they will have to wait until I get home in September because I only have internet via Geordie's computer for the time being.
Last night we went to the Balacade (amazing! and amazingly old!) and roller skating at the Bala arena. I did not fall once and I am very proud of that fact. We went to Highland Games in Bracebridge on Saturday and watched men in kilts throw logs and giant hammers. I also bought 5 new record albums! A Supertramp, two Led Zeppelins, Abbey Road - The Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix. All in good condition and all for $35. Wonderful.

No comments: