Thursday, June 16, 2011

An Itch

"I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." -- John 12:24

I have been indecisive for the past 6 days about whether or not to write this.. But.. I feel like this is usually where I put whatever it is that's going on. The things that are important to me in the moment that I'm posting. I think this is an itch that needs to be scratched. Some thoughts that need to be put somewhere. I'm sorry if I offend. .. Not that many people read this so I figured it was the safest spot. I want to commit this to memory as a reminder to live life to its fullest. To take the chances but at the same time to be careful because of how much our lives have an impact on others, whether we realize it or not. And I want to be one of the seeds.

.. You didn't look like yourself, you know. You almost had me fooled. I hated that I had to tell myself that it was you. That you were gone. That it was you we had come to say goodbye to.
I feel like you left at a bad time. At a time when a lot of us were just starting to get to know the real you. When you were just figuring out who the real you was. We all knew the surface you. The you that had always been there. The crazy, happy, goofy, reckless, fun-loving, sincere, honest, and always smiling you. Last year we got a glimpse of the deep and serious you. The you that was fearful of our God (even if that was the only thing you were afraid of). It was fascinating for me, as someone who had seen you only as the sixteen year old trouble maker in a canoe. I loved listening to you talk last summer while we were in our discussion group. I was so impressed. So impressed. I was really glad that we were put in the same group. Now, I consider that chance to be with you a gift. I'm so glad that I had that time with you. Those serious talks littered with with laughs, snake catching, and persistent sweating in the summer sun. I'm so happy that God laid it on my heart to write you the note I did at the end of that week. I would have felt awful if I had never said those words to you.
I really thought that this year was going to bring you back to camp again. I was looking forward to seeing you counsel. You would have made an absolutely fabulous Sr. Boys counselor, you know. We all thought you were going to be around more.
I really enjoyed being around you and I like to think that we had some good times together. Your sister says that you  thought so. I was really comforted when she told me that. Torn apart at the same time though. With you lying just behind us.
Twenty years is too short. I'm glad you lived life to its fullest while you were here. I know you enjoyed your time with us and I'm positive that you're having an even better time up above.
It was a privilege to have known you. Save seats for us up in heaven, my friend. You will be dearly missed by so many people.


Mike DeVries 
March 29, 1991- June 9, 2011

1 comment:

Sarah Vandervecht said...

this is wonderful
I love it
i cried